Friday, February 11, 2011

Disease free...finally sort of

SOPHIE---

OK so after 4 visits to the doctor, and being diagnosed with measles, a viral rash, and I dont know what that is...and experimenting with all sorts of creams, gels, and bleach baths....we finally found a doctor who knew what she was doing!! Sophie didn't have the measles or a viral rash...just a weired type of eczema. After one day of putting on a steroid cream, it nearly all went away! THANK GOD. poor kid almost tried to scratch herself to death.

DYLAN---
So I have complained about this before.. my poor baby Dylan and his blocked tear duct. Well it has gotten better, but we still have episodes. Took the advice from my pediatrician and took him to a pediatric ophthalmologist. I wasn't happy with what he had to say--the doctor was a nice guy but quick to surgery. He wants to put Dylan under general anesthesia to do a nasolacrimal duct probing. I wasn't thrilled about this considering his age, and didn't think that this was a huge enough problem to put him under anesthesia. So here were the pros and cons

Pros-
1. it opens his blocked tear duct so his tears can drain normally and thus eliminate chronic watering of the eye and eye infections
2. Success is 90-95% with a single probing

Cons-
1. 5-10% the tear duct can close back down, and may need to be probed again.
2. Anesthesia---HELLO!! I know all these risks -heart stopping, breathing stopping, brain death...I may be a little dramatic...but it can happen
3. Possible damage to his eye--this procedure includes placing a silicone tube into his tear duct to help it stay open--you can actually see this tube and according to the doctor "often children will accidentally pull the tube away from the corner of the eye" UMMM----great!!

I luckily have a best friend who is married to an ophthalmologist--THANKS GREG for all of the advice.  He put my mind at ease when we made the decision NOT to do the surgery. We just didn't think it was worth the risks. So unless something dramatic happens Dylan will NOT have this surgery!

That wasn't the only thing that was discussed during our eye visit. Doctor did a complete eye exam and said Dylan's left eye was very farsighted and he suggested we needed a prescription for glasses. Now I cant even keep this kids hat on when we go out in the cold...you now want me to put glasses on him!! Again THANKS to Greg, we decided to wait till he is a little bit older and his eyes have developed a little bit more and go back for another eye appointment. I just wanted to make clear, I'm not against the glasses, just don't think its very realistic right now to have a 17th month old expected to keep his glasses on.

I guess if a little rash and a little eye problem is the only problems we have we are doing pretty good!! I really am blessed and I know that!!


Blogger Templates

Blogger Templates

No comments:

Post a Comment